Board Student Representatives
(Non Voting Member)
Term Expires: June 2021
(Non Voting Member)
Term Expires: June 2021
Shorewood School District Student Representative - Job Description
Shorewood’s School Board first established two seats for student representatives to the board in 2019. Student representatives do not vote, but attend regular meetings of the board and participate in discussion to ensure that students’ needs, desires and well-being are elevated in school board decision-making. At least until November 2020, board meetings will be held by video call, but may return to being held in person in the SHS library on Tuesday evenings twice a month.
Student representatives are also encouraged to share school board discussions and solicit feedback from their classmates and fellow students both older and younger. They may do this across a range of venues, including in person, on social media, in student clubs and group meetings, or via Ripples or announcements.
The board strives to appoint student representatives who are experienced advocates, who are responsible and comfortable speaking with adults and in front of groups, even about emotional or difficult issues. We seek thoughtful, courageous students who understand the importance of student voice in our school district’s policy work and operations.
Term of office
Effective in the 2020-2021 school year, the board has revised the bylaw to call for representatives on the board to serve staggered terms, allowing for an experienced student representative to offer support and guidance to the newer one in every school year.
To benefit from the experience of both student representatives who served in the 2019-2020 school year, the board has invited them to return and share the role of experienced representative while also bringing on a single new representative who is a sophomore or junior in the 2020-2021 school year.
For that reason, for the 2020-2021 school year only, if the current representatives, Jack Stuhlmacher and Sadie Cumberbatch, agree to continue, there will be three total student representatives. In the 2021-2022 school year, the student appointed in Fall 2020 would be invited to return and would be joined by a new student representative.
Sophomores and Juniors are therefore invited to apply for this year’s vacancy. Applications are due Friday, September 11.
You may submit the attached application in person to the main office, care of Principal Kenney, or email the application to email@example.com.
Board members will conduct interviews from Sept. 12-Sept 22, and expect to make a recommendation for the full elected board to approve at its September 22 meeting.
School District of Shorewood Student Representatives to the School Board Board
The Shorewood School Board recognizes the importance of hearing from Shorewood students directly about the district’s policies and operation. Therefore, the Board welcomes Student Representatives to the School Board. Beginning with the 2020-2021 school year, student representatives shall serve staggered terms, with one new and one returning* representative.
Appointed students in their sophomore or junior year shall serve as non-voting Student Representatives to the School Board for a term of one school year with an option to reapply for a second year as a junior or senior. Student Representatives shall participate in open Board meetings, but may not make or vote on any motions. They will attend only open meetings of the board.
Expectations and responsibilities for the Student Representatives to the School Board:
- Be available to begin serving as Student Representative with the start of the school year.
- Consistently attend regular Board Meetings.
- Review relevant materials,and be prepared to participate in each meeting alongside the elected, voting members of the board..
- Communicate Board actions and relevant work to students and solicit feedback and ideas from fellow students.
Process for selection of Student Representatives to the School Board:
- The board will distribute job description, application and recommendation forms during spring semester or summer, followed by interviews and selection of the representatives in late summer or fall. Applications will be received in adherence with a published deadline, with the option to extend the deadline due to low response.
- All applicants will be invited to participate in the interview process with two board members and a district administrator, unless the number of applicants exceeds the ability to conduct personal interviews with each one. In that case, interviewers may screen applications based on agreed-upon criteria, and personal interviews of select candidates will follow.
- The full board will consider recommendations from two members of the board who volunteer to screen and interview the applicants.
- The full board will vote to approve a new Student Representative. If the current Student Representative opts out of a second year of serving, the board will also vote to fill the unexpired term with a new Representative for a single year.
- Selected Student Representatives to the School Board will begin at the first School Board meeting in September.
* Staggered terms shall begin in the 2021-2022 school year, with one new representative and one or both Student Representatives from the 2019-2020 school year returning and sharing duties if they wish to continue serving.
Amended June 9, 2020