New Horizons Charter School
NO WALLS. NO CEILINGS. NO BOUNDARIES.
New Horizons’ mission is to nurture diverse pupil needs, cultivate lifelong learning and instill integrity, responsibility and citizenship. Chartered by the School District of Shorewood in the fall of 2005, New Horizons is an alternative high school designed to empower students by using a hands-on approach as they work in a collaborative setting with staff, community and parents. The program is reflective of the progressive values of the community.
An Exciting Learning Journey
The New Horizons’ learning model consists of five equally important, interdependent parts:
- Co-intentional Learning Everyone has a voice at New Horizons. Students and teachers contribute to a constructive learning environment.
- Differentiated Literacy incorporates various learning styles into curriculum instruction.
- Educational Stake Holding Every New Horizons student benefits from peer support, parental involvement, and teacher guidance as they embrace educational success.
- Technology provides a gateway for the 21st century learner to adapt to technology and research and compile and filter information.
- Transitioning helps identify a life path for each student. New Horizons assists students on their journey toward adulthood and helps students assess careers.
The Community Is Our Place of Learning
New Horizon’s instructors have integrated the concept of environmental stewardship and a commitment to the community throughout the curriculum. A collaborative approach to classroom learning is coupled with hands-on experiences throughout Shorewood and the greater Milwaukee area, with a focus on environmental projects.
Currently, New Horizons is partnering with the University Scholars Program at MSOE on a community rejuvenation project on 1st Street and Center Street, known in the Milwaukee community as Gingerbread Lane. Click here to learn more about this great work.